New York City Metro
Urbane is a community development venture and certified MBE. Founded in 2008, with offices in New York City and Philadelphia, Urbane builds the infrastructure that catalyzes community wealth. Our approach centers on strengthening community anchors through a multi-disciplinary approach - research and analytics, business and development advisory services, and place-based investing in mixed-use real estate, small businesses, and other non-traditional assets aimed at generating long term prosperity and community wealth creation. We envision neighborhoods that are defined by their strengths and experienced as places of opportunity and innovation, building bridges toward an equitable distribution of wealth and power by fostering community-led solutions and centering the wisdom and local innovation that already exists to facilitate a future of prosperity and shared wealth.
Urbane’s client base includes municipalities, economic development agencies, foundations, financial institutions, real estate developers, community-based organizations, and small businesses throughout the US.
With a brand refresh and new website, along with a forthcoming nonprofit arm and impact investing funds, let alone exciting projects in the pipeline – 2021 and beyond has us excited about the possibilities – and those possibilities necessarily include fresh new, diverse perspectives!
Status: Full-Time preferred
Location(s): New York, NY
Urbane is seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager to develop standout marketing programs and campaigns, tell dynamic stories, and effectively communicate the Flatbush Central Caribbean Marketplace and Mangrove Business Incubator brands. The Manager will play a key role in building the community, retail customer and entrepreneur patronage of Urbane’s premier place-based development project. In coordination with the Market Director, Community Engagement Manager, and Incubator GM, the Marketing and Communications Manager will design and execute strategies to deepen the Market’s position as the Caribbean cultural hub in Brooklyn, and to promote the Mangrove as a comprehensive small business incubator and accelerator. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an affinity for the community-centered economic development vision of the project and will be able to highlight the facility’s commercial appeal and community impact with equal fluency.
A more detailed description of the facility and the Mangrove follows the job description.
- Design and implement detailed plans to a) expand Market awareness and vendor retail sales, and b) promote Mangrove rental memberships and incubator adoption
- Develop marketing and communications KPIs and evaluate campaigns against set metrics
- Oversee market data collection and analysis; plan and conduct market research, including regular primary research with patrons, residents, and community partners
- Ideate, curate, and execute public and private events programming, including managing in-house event calendar and working with community groups and event production partners
- Manage public-facing assets to enhance engagement and impact, including managing website updates, search engine optimization, website updates, managing social media accounts, and email communications
- Design and produce marketing and promotional collateral, including digital media assets, print promotions and stakeholder presentations
- Support the Flatbush Central Market Director and Mangrove Business Incubator GM in initiating and securing corporate sponsorships
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams - within the facility and Urbane at large - to inform effective communications and storytelling
- Coordinate with and manage PR agency partners when appropriate
- Manage additional marketing and/or communications staff or interns
- Create and maintain marketing and communications budgets
- Marketing and communications background is a must, with at least three years of demonstrated experience
- Fluency in design programs (Adobe suite preferred)
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Experience managing budgets and making cost-saving decisions for execution
- Proven experience producing events
- Deep understanding of Caribbean and other BIPOC communities in Brooklyn, and demonstrated experience executing culturally relevant campaigns
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain a professional demeanor
- Team player who can also work effectively to move projects forward independently when needed
- Passionate about community development and promoting holistic community wealth building, and telling community stories
- Ability to work in a complex environment
- Empathy and comfort with ambiguity
- Attention to detail and ability to adhere to deadlines
The salary range for this role is between $68,000.00 and $75,000.00 and is commensurate with experience. Urbane believes great benefits make great work possible. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), and generous vacation/PTO offerings. Urbane invests up to $1500/employee/year in professional development and personal growth.
- To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing and Communications Manager” in the subject line along with your current resume, a brief cover letter/email, and individual example(s) of past work product that is deemed shareable and demonstrates professional and technical competencies. Please note any additional language abilities and level of proficiency/fluency if not readily apparent from your resume.
- Please name all files sent to Urbane beginning with your first and last name (or preferred naming conventions) for easy identification.
- The application is a multi-step process, inclusive of mutliple rounds of interviews with multiple Urbane team members.
- Due to the volume of applications and a small (but mighty!) Team, we are unable to respond to all inquiries.
Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a background check which includes references from previous employers. Urbane Development Group LTD, is an equal opportunity employer which recruits, hires, trains, and promotes personnel for all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected under local, state, or federal laws.
Community Anchors as agents of change
The lynchpin to Urbane’s model is to identify, support, and strengthen community anchors – storefront businesses, artisan producers and manufacturers, community- and faith-based organizations – that hold the trust and confidence in a community and act as key hubs of neighborhood activity. Their placement as community anchors offers unparalleled market insight coupled with their unique positioning in underserved markets as powerful, positive agents for change. Community anchors are the natural conduits to opportunities for wealth creation for residents and businesses alike. Urbane’s premier development project is the Flatbush Central Caribbean Marketplace and The Mangrove Business Incubator.
FCM is a Caribbean-themed marketplace featuring 30+ vendors of food, fashion, home goods, crafts and more. The market was established in 2000 as a haven for local street vendors to operate their micro enterprises in a supportive space. Since its founding, FCM has served as a key commercial and cultural institution in Flatbush, connecting entrepreneurs to financial and technical resources needed to formalize and grow their businesses. In 2015, Urbane was selected to redevelop FCM, preserving the market’s cultural roots and ensuring the continuity of legacy businesses. The resulting project, Flatbush Central, includes a rebuilt market space for legacy vendors; new food hall, bars and test kitchen; the Mangrove Business Incubator, a comprehensive business incubator/accelerator with a commercial kitchen, a body care production lab and design studio; and a public plaza – all co-located with Caton Flats, a 255 unit affordable housing development. This combined infrastructure will serve as a small business development hub and a connector to the broader ecosystem of business supports and market opportunities across NYC.
The Mangrove Incubator
The Mangrove is comprised of three unique incubator spaces including a natural body care production workshop, design studio and commercial kitchen. Each space is designed to support their specific industry with state-of-the-art equipment and industry expertise. The Mangrove is housed within Flatbush Central Caribbean Marketplace, home to a multi-vendor retail market, 2 bars, and food hall featuring the finest local chefs and culinary entrepreneurs.
The Mangrove Business Incubator facilities will host a series of programs and pathways to boost BIPOC entrepreneurship locally and across the Greater New York Metro area. Programs will be tailored to accelerate both established businesses as well as burgeoning enterprises in the start-up process. Entrepreneurs will have access to the production spaces via tiered memberships, while aspiring entrepreneurs will have access to the facilities through a seasonal incubator program and business curriculum designed to support business owners navigate the ins and outs of operating a sustainable business.